Armadillos don’t make good companions for cats, dogs and other household pets. These creatures would
choose to hide under their shells than to play hide and seek with other pet animals. Besides these,
Boca Raton armadillos are considered as endangered, so there is no way they can actually belong to a place we
A Florida armadillo can carry dangerous diseases that are more brutal than what we’ve known as an “armadillo attack”. This is because hundreds of leprosy cases in humans were linked to this type of mammal. Leprosy is caused by Mycobacterium leprae, a type of bacterium that inflicts damage to the nerves.
• Armadillos can also carry rabies virus
• Armadillos can cause salmonella virus and tapeworm
• Boca Raton armadillos can attack other pets in the household
• Armadillos can ruin your landscape by digging up the soil
The harm it does to humans
Leprosy can actually pass between Boca Raton armadillos and humans. It was found out in the studies that both share similar strains of bacteria. Although an armadillo possess a body that look like tank armour, it still doesn’t shield them from such type of disease. In fact, Florida armadillos have been known to spread full-blown leprosy bacterial infections over decades.
• Keep your area safe by planting fences around it
• Find the den to which the armadillo frequently stays
• Look for some signs and trails as this is where the cage trap should be
Preserving the wildlife
In case you found an orphaned Boca Raton armadillo in your place and want to take care of it as your pet, you have to be aware of the consequences. Orphaned armadillos should be brought to wildlife assistance or help centres because they know better when it comes to handling baby armadillos.
• Contact your nearest Florida animal rescue center
• Get in touch with your local veterinary experts
• Only give immediate first aid for sick or injured armadillos
• Do not keep an armadillo around the house for too long
• Drop them off to the woods or swamp as long as it is located far from any residential development
When faced in a situation where there are stray Boca Raton armadillos in the backyard, the best thing to do is to contact a licensed wildlife professional to help you get rid of them. Armadillos are better kept in a cage until such time you have arranged a schedule with the right person. Some services give more options wherein you can either drop them off or have them picked up from your house.
To learn more about our services, visit the Boca Raton wildlife removal home page.